[NTG-context] TeX capacity exceeded.... but....

jbf roma83537 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 23:14:55 CET 2022

I'd like to understand what is happening in this particular instance:

While playing with a suggestion to a recent request (re
\currentlistentrynumber etc.) I suddenly got a compiling error:

TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [file=2000].

I returned everything to how it was before I was trying out those
suggestions, but still got the error, so I began the \stopdocument
routine fairly early in the document... same problem still. Then I
brought the \stopdocument well forward, immediately after the standard
makeup pages and the document compiled. When I removed \stopdocument,
the entire document compiled as it should.

So the basic question is: what can be causing the error message? This
has happened to me on two occasions with this document - it occurred
once before I had even begun experimenting with the \currentlistentry
options, so I do not think that the problem lies there. And when it
occurred that time, I again solved it with \stopdocument routine, but
further into the document. And similarly, once it compiled that far and
I removed it, the whole document compiled once more.

If it is too complicated an explanation for an email response, maybe
just point me to a document that explains the issue.

Julian