[NTG-context] Force a hyphenation

Arthur Rosendahl arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed Mar 16 17:29:30 CET 2022

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 05:17:46PM +0100, Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context wrote:
> So Eiwei-ßes may in fact be correct... But I assume that Arthur has some
> authoritative answer to this question.

  I’ll refer to the German hyphenation pattern list as an authority
(https://lists.dante.de/mailman/listinfo/trennmuster) :-)  But I do
believe that you, Thomas, are right and that Eiwei-ßes is correct (while
Ei-weißes is much better anyway).  It is in fact logical: ‘ß’ in the new
spelling means that the preceding sound is long, hence it has to be
spelt that way always, not “analysed” as ‘ss’.  If you were to hyphenate
Straße as Stras-se, it would indicate a different pronunciation.

	Best,

		Arthur