[NTG-context] Force a hyphenation

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Wed Mar 16 17:17:46 CET 2022

Hi Willi,

I must admit that after the reform some 20 years ago, I'm no longer
certain about German rules. But I think that in fact, according to the
new rules, ß is no longer hyphenated the way you suggest. Duden § 164.3:
"Ein einzelner Konsonantenbuchstabe im Wortinneren kommt in der Regel
auf die neue Zeile; von mehreren Konsonantbuchstaben trennt man nur den
letzten ab.
Zum Beispiel
[…]
     Grü-ße, hei-ßen

So Eiwei-ßes may in fact be correct... But I assume that Arthur has some
authoritative answer to this question.

Best

Thomas