[NTG-context] new upload

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 14 09:01:19 CET 2022

On 3/13/2022 7:58 PM, Rik Kabel via ntg-context wrote:

> With regard to math fonts, I notice that the goodies file for Libertinus
> expects version 6.8 of the font, but the current version (since February
> 2021) is 7.040, and much work appears to have gone into the math font.

the main issue with math font is in 'unfortunate' glyph dimensions and
we doubt that these will change over time (as fonts are supposed to be
stable); adding shapes is another matter

> Two questions, then:
>
>  1. Is Libertinus Math considered a "useful" math font?

Mikael knows .. I never used libertinus (and am an unlike candidate; i
mostly use cambria, pagella, dejavu, lucida)

>  2. How does the goodies mechanism work when the expected version
>     differs from the found version?

we check the version number in the font file (a bit of fuzzyness due to
the way version numbers ar ento standardized); comparing internals would
be an option but also a waste of time i think

> (I understand that keeping up with evolving fonts is somewhere between
> difficult and impossible.)

which is why we want to freeze on versions ... an update to another
version then becomes explicit; of course we can also consider having
multiple instances of a font but then we also need to set up a repository

> I also note that the typescript for libertinus is quite old and does not
> reflect the semibold variants that have been available for some time. I
> prefer them to the bold variants, and my own typescript for libertinus
> does incorporate them. I am happy to share it if anyone wants it.
We cannot suddenly change the 'default', but we can have additional
choices in the file for semi versions (some more fonts have that).  You
can send your typesctipt file to Mikael and me and we can have a look.

(Not sure if I should update libertinus now. Sometimes fonts change too
much, like for instance ebgaramond did, and one can get rather different
output.)