[NTG-context] Suggestions for more math classes?

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 16 16:14:12 CET 2022

On 2/16/2022 3:29 PM, Gavin via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi Mikael,
>
> A while back you asked the list about math class ideas.
>
>> Q1: Do you have any further suggestions on new classes (or comments on
>> these)? It might be good to think about situations where you have felt
>> that you need to insert manual spaces such as \, or \! to obtain a
>> better result.
>
> Three things came to mind:
>
> 1) Units, where I use:
>       \, to separate units from the number
>       \rm to get the text font
>       \!\cdot\!  to get something like kg•m/s

there is a units module (always has been, but it moved to the physics
domain)

> 2) Digits, where I use {,} to get a thousands separator

idem, there are mechanisms for that (independent of math)

> 3) Chemical equations, which seem to be in their own strange world right now

that belongs in the chemical modules (i probably need to check
prescritps and spacing there)

> Thanks for working on CoTeXt math!
attached a teaser that abuses digit classes ... there is now (on our
machines) a rather extensive mechasm for pairing classes (of any kind),
inheritance, penalties, edge slack handling, native integrals (large
operators), optimized linebreaks wrt math, scaled fenced stuff breaking
across line

(we're now ironing out some crazy symbols that no one ever bothered
about but that annoy us)