[NTG-context] registers, how to ignore quote marks

jbf roma83537 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 01:30:41 CET 2022

The several responses to my floundering with the register have been very
helpful, though I would have to confess that I have ended up 'messing
with' things (suggested by Hans re the [key]) and getting a satisfactory
result in almost every case without always understanding why. But I can
say that I have the 'sorting' issue resolved if it is a main entry,
including if that entry is surrounded by quote marks or has one part of
that entry formatted differently (e.g. italics).

But I don't seem able to apply this to subentries! I cannot solve the
sorting of subentries that have special features (e.g. I might have
needed italics for part of a subentry, or the subentry is surrounded by
quote marks).

Here are my two situations (and in each case they appear out of
alphabetical order in the subentry list):

1. \index{animals+‘special kinds’}: in this case ‘special kinds’ appears
in the subentry list at the bottom of the list, after one that starts
with 'v'. I 'messed with' this by adding keys, e.g., \index[Animals]
etc. but  the item disappeared from the index altogether.

2. \index{Plenary Council+{\it periti} (experts)}: in this case it is
the italicised /periti/ that appears out of place, after the letter 'i'
rather than after 'p'. Again I tried putting various keys but this did
not help.

I guess my confusion is this: I assumed that the [key] establishes the
literal string which determines sort order. That seems to be the case
for a main entry. How do I get it to work for a subentry?

Julian