[NTG-context] OT world history: other measuring systems?

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 26 00:17:47 CET 2022

On 1/25/2022 8:28 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:

> Ah, of course. So “normalization” to some ruler’s shoe size was already
> progress.

I'm not that sure if shoes are really standardized (or fashion in
general ... bachotex polish xxl differs from us xxl and dutch xxl and ...
  i think that napoleon sort of forced the netherlands to standardize

times (clocks) were definitely different per city

i remember reading that for instance when the car industry needed oarts
and there were more suppliers needed it were the supliers who
standardized measured (bolts and nuts)

thinking of it: we used to have standardized batteries and film rolls
(cameras) but the world definitely degraded in that area: camera and
phone and laptop batteries are the new 'foot' and 'finger'