[NTG-context] OT world history: other measuring systems?

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Tue Jan 25 20:41:42 CET 2022

Am 25.01.22 um 18:45 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:
> On 1/25/2022 6:27 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> Some of the units, particularly for measurement of land area, are
>> still in use as they are effectively codified in the land records.
>> Wikipedia has some summary of the ancient and medieval systems in India.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_units_of_measurement
>
> the same in nl ... for instance farmers still use old measures (e.g.
> when selling or buying land), also because for instance lots are defined
> that way

I don’t think that farmers (in Germany) still use them, but “Morgen”
(morning) and “Tagwerk” (a day’s work) were usual measures for areas,
depending on the region and the type of work (farming, viniculture,
fresco painting...)

According to https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagewerk, only the kingdom of
Bavaria had a proper definition:
1 Tagwerk = 100 Dezimal = 400 Quadratruten = 40.000 Quadratfuß

I don’t know if Michael Ende made that up, but apparently some bible
exegetors said, paradise must have had the size of 6 “Tagwerk”... (But
then probably YHW’s tagwerk is something else than a mortal farmer’s –
similar to the time of the Devas in India.)

Hraban