[NTG-context] new upload

kauśika citturs at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 09:26:05 CET 2022

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 1:28:52 PM IST hanneder--- via ntg-context wrote:
> When using these fonts regularly, one notices very erratic formatting
> phenomena that must have to
> do with the Devanagarī font, or its interaction with (Xe)TeX. Perhaps
> this is the same phenomenon
> seen from the user side.
>
> In my case things improved when I switched to Adishila (in XeTeX):
>
> \newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=RomDev,Scale=1.45]{Adi
> shilaSan}
>
> This is, to my taste, the nicest Sanskrit font, but it is difficult to
> decide between Adishila and
> Shobhika.

Adishila is a great font too and comes in many more styles (letter press, etc)
than Shobhika. However the latter has more conjuncts. For example:
ङ्क्ल
ङ्ग्ध्व
appear as halant forms in Adishila while they are proper conjuncts in
Shobhika. Of course, these are rare conjuncts, so …

Anyway, in ConTeXt Adishila works well with
features=devanagari-one

> I cannot say how thrilled I am about the Indic support, thanks a lot
> to Kaushika!

It is very much an ongoing effort. I am working on some proper documentation
soon to serve as a guide for fonts (what works, what doesn't, fixes, hacks,
etc). But mostly it is in a very usable state (for the most part).

I am very much a non-expert and helping in very little ways. It is Hans in the
background who is doing all the really important things with the code, design
and engineering of the system. So really, we should thank him!

kauśika