[NTG-context] new upload

hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Jan 23 08:58:52 CET 2022

> (it is a bit of a pity that support for indic scripts is such a
> weird mix of font technology and
> engine dependent reshuffling ... probably also driven by limitations
> of open type at that time)>

When using these fonts regularly, one notices very erratic formatting
phenomena that must have to
do with the Devanagarī font, or its interaction with (Xe)TeX. Perhaps
this is the same phenomenon
seen from the user side.

In my case things improved when I switched to Adishila (in XeTeX):

\newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=RomDev,Scale=1.45]{AdishilaSan}

This is, to my taste, the nicest Sanskrit font, but it is difficult to
decide between Adishila and
Shobhika.

The Murty font is also quite good, but it is commercial and cannot be
used for book production. I
asked whether there was a way to get a licence, but at the time this
was impossible. But the font
team there recommended ``Sanskrit Text'' (Sansk.ttf) which is one of
their products that made it
into a Microsoft Windows Standard font (I am not using Windows). It is
also very good, but Adishila
works better for me.

I cannot say how thrilled I am about the Indic support, thanks a lot
to Kaushika!

Best
Jürgen

----- Nachricht von kauśika via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> ---------