[NTG-context] new upload

hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sat Jan 15 12:33:18 CET 2022

> - We added indic language patterns ad well as defined the languages
> but labels are on the todo as are conversions; kauśika is working on

Perhaps the following notes are useful.

1. The simplest way, and what I was talking about, is to write and
print Sanskrit in
    transliteration.

ānandaḥ -> ānandaḥ

2. Then we can of course write and print the same word in the usual
Indian Script (Devanāgarī)

आनन्दः  ->  आनन्दः

3. But for academic use, one wants an input in roman (e-text are
usually in roman), and the option
    to have an output in Devanāgarī)

ānandaḥ ->  आनन्दः

For this an option with the transliterator would be required, I guess(?)

Theoretically one could write Sanskrit in many scripts -- it has been written
with many Indian scripts in history --, but I am wondering about the
practical value of this.
For imitating historic prints it would no doubt be nice, but not urgent.

I was not aware of the hyphenation patterns by Yves Codet, if they
work, they would cover case 1
and 2. And I just heard from a colleague that the latest babel version
is incorporating a Sanskrit option
that might cover the same ground (I am not sure whether this is useful).

Thanks a lot! I just have to learn more about ConTeXt to able to use it:)

---

Prof. Dr. Juergen Hanneder
Philipps-Universitaet Marburg
FG Indologie u. Tibetologie