[NTG-context] Solved! Itemize columns with MPgraphics: another vertical spacing puzzle

Gavin gavinpublic at comcast.net
Fri Jan 14 20:10:43 CET 2022

Hi List,

I solved this problem, but the solution is a bit mysterious to me. I was trying to solve another problem – removing the small space underneath the graphic in the framed box. I did this by adding boffset=-\strutdepth to the framed command. That not only got rid of the space inside the frame, it also removed the excess space between the rows in the itemize columns!

I don’t know why this fix solved both problems, but I’m happy with the result. Now I can use options for the choices – like packed and joinedup – with consistent results for any number of columns. I’ve put the fixed code and output below, for anyone who is interested.

Even when I’m a bit confused, I’m glad to be working with ConTeXt rather than any other system!

Best,
Gavin

\starttext

\defineitemgroup[questions]
\setupquestions [1] [n]
\define\question{\item}

\defineitemgroup[choices]
\setupchoices [each] [A,columns] [left=(, right=), width=1.7em, stopper=,]
\define\choice{\item}

\def\mycolor{.625red}

\startuseMPgraphic{name}
  fill fullcircle scaled 40pt withcolor \mycolor;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\define[1]\mycolordot{\def\mycolor{#1}\framed[location=top,offset=0pt,boffset=-\strutdepth,frame=off]{\useMPgraphic{name}}}

Here are a few great looking multiple choice questions about colors.
\startquestions
\question What is your favorite color?
\startchoices[columns,four]
  \choice \mycolordot{.625red}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625blue}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625green}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625magenta}
\stopchoices

\question What is your least favorite color?
\startchoices[columns]
  \choice \mycolordot{.625red}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625blue}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625green}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625magenta}
\stopchoices

\question Toward which colors do you feel indifferent?
\startchoices[one]
  \choice \mycolordot{.625red}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625blue}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625green}