[NTG-context] Itemize columns with MPgraphics: another vertical spacing puzzle

Gavin gavinpublic at comcast.net
Fri Jan 14 16:16:59 CET 2022

Hi List,

I need to itemize graphics when I use those graphics as the choices in a multiple choice question. When I do that in columns, I am getting excess space below the graphics. See example code and output below. Any suggestions for how I get rid of this space?

I’m not sure if this is related to the itemize column spacing in my previous comment.

Thanks, again!
Gavin

\starttext

\defineitemgroup[choices]
\setupchoices [each] [A,joinedup] [left=(, right=), width=1.7em, stopper=,]
\define\choice{\item}

\def\mycolor{.625red}

\startuseMPgraphic{name}
  fill fullcircle scaled 40pt withcolor \mycolor;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\define[1]\mycolordot{\def\mycolor{#1}\framed[location=top,offset=0pt,frame=off]{\useMPgraphic{name}}}

What is your favorite color? (There is too much space after these choices.)
\startchoices[columns,four]
  \choice \mycolordot{.625red}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625blue}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625green}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625magenta}
\stopchoices

A ruledhboxs show the extra space is in the itemize, but not in the item contents.

\ruledhbox{\startchoices[columns, four]
  \choice \ruledhbox{\mycolordot{.625red}}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625blue}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625green}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625magenta}
\stopchoices}

Putting a ruledhbox around the first item shows that each item has extra space that is not part of the item contents. (The ruledhbox also messes with the horizontal alignment, but I don't care about that.)
\startchoices[columns]
  \ruledhbox{\choice \mycolordot{.625red}}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625blue}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625green}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625magenta}
\stopchoices

The extra space is not present without columns.
\startchoices
  \choice \mycolordot{.625red}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625blue}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625green}
  \choice \mycolordot{.625magenta}
\stopchoices

\ruledhbox{My favorite color is:\def\mycolor{.625blue}
    \framed[location=top,offset=0pt,frame=on] {\useMPgraphic{name}}}