[NTG-context] Critical Editions?

Jean-Pierre Delange adeimantos at free.fr
Mon Jan 10 14:31:53 CET 2022

Thank you very much Arthur !

Yves Codet (Assistant Professor at Toulouse University, member of CRAPA
an institutional public research in Humanities in South of France) is
involved in TeX patterns for Greek and Indic languages. He is a
translator of Indian theater pieces (among other things).

See there : https://ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/xetex/hyphenation/sanhyph

And his involvement in the discussion about Devanagari romanisation for
translitteration and/or specific UTF8 specification in order to respect
Devanagari and Brahmi hyphenation with XeTeX.

https://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2008-October/010904.html

Le 10/01/2022 à 12:26, Arthur Rosendahl via ntg-context a écrit :
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2022 at 11:46:44PM +0100, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
>> On 1/9/2022 11:23 AM, hanneder--- via ntg-context wrote:
>>> 1. In Sanskrit prose it is possible to produce compounds that span a few
>>> lines. The concept of
>>>      "word" or "word division" fails here, as are the TeX mechanisms.
>>>
>>>      What we need in practice would be a "hyphenation" for the language
>>> Sanskrit that hyphenates
>>>      after all Sanskrit vowels (in transcription this would be a, ā, i,
>>> ī, u, ū, ṛ, ḷ, e, o, ai, au. The
>>>      last two cannot be split, "au" is one vowel with one vowel sign in
>>> the original script). Of
>>>      course, we want to improve this automatic spelling occasionally, so
>>> we need to be able to insert
>>>      a \- without thereby disabling the hyphenation for this compound.
>>>
>>>      I think in critical editions the problem of the disabled hyphenation
>>> also arises when a variant
>>>      is added inside a word. In any case hyphenation is a real nuisance
>>> in critical editions.
>> hypenation ... so no patterns, just injecting discretionaries after specific
>> vowels ... doable but it has to happen a some specific moment because when
>> language bound it's too soon, and the font handler does some reshuffling; it
>> can probabloy best be done after fonts have been done ... given specs a
>> typical rainy weekend activity
>    There are patterns, that implement almost exactly the kind of
> automatic hyphenation Jürgen describes (see
> https://github.com/hyphenation/tex-hyphen/blob/master/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/hyph-sa.tex#L50L134).
> They’re just not in the ConTeXt distribution ...
>
> 	Arthur

Jean-Pierre Delange
Ancients&Moderns
Professeur Agrégé de Philosophie (HC)