[NTG-context] Critical Editions?

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 9 23:46:44 CET 2022

On 1/9/2022 11:23 AM, hanneder--- via ntg-context wrote:

> 1. In Sanskrit prose it is possible to produce compounds that span a few
> lines. The concept of
>     "word" or "word division" fails here, as are the TeX mechanisms.
>
>     What we need in practice would be a "hyphenation" for the language
> Sanskrit that hyphenates
>     after all Sanskrit vowels (in transcription this would be a, ā, i,
> ī, u, ū, ṛ, ḷ, e, o, ai, au. The
>     last two cannot be split, "au" is one vowel with one vowel sign in
> the original script). Of
>     course, we want to improve this automatic spelling occasionally, so
> we need to be able to insert
>     a \- without thereby disabling the hyphenation for this compound.
>
>     I think in critical editions the problem of the disabled hyphenation
> also arises when a variant
>     is added inside a word. In any case hyphenation is a real nuisance
> in critical editions.
two things here:

transliterations ... do we need a mechanism for that ? latin in ->
something else out (if so i need specs)

hypenation ... so no patterns, just injecting discretionaries after
specific vowels ... doable but it has to happen a some specific moment
because when language bound it's too soon, and the font handler does
some reshuffling; it can probabloy best be done after fonts have been
done ... given specs a typical rainy weekend activity