[NTG-context] Fonts for transliteration (was: Critical Editions?)

BPJ bpj at melroch.se
Sun Jan 9 17:18:06 CET 2022

Den sön 9 jan. 2022 13:22Robert via ntg-context <ntg-context at ntg.nl> skrev:

> Dear list,
>
> I am currently working on a critical edition as well, and follow the
> discussion with interest. For the time being, I prefer Latex over Context
> for this project.
>
> In addition to Jürgen's remarks on transcription fonts, a small
> contribution:
>
> Arabists and turcologists working with transcriptions used to have similar
> problems. In the nineties I adapted existing postscript fonts with
> Fontographer. I also made sure to copy kerning information from extant
> letters (e.g. a) to new ones (e.g. ā) with the required diacritic (usually
> dots, dashes and haceks). This was in the pre-unicode era.
>
> Today there is the Brill font which is quite extended, yet I am not sure
> if it can be used freely in other publications.
>
> Adapations to extant fonts can still be made with the open source app
> FontForge. Do not hesitate to contact me offline if you need help on this.

The technically excellent free Google Noto Serif/Sans/Sans Mono fonts have
quite extensive coverage of Latin/Greek/Cyrillic scripts. As an
Indo-Europeanist turned programmer/editor/translator doing frequent forays
into Uralic and Afroasiatic when wearing a more general historical
linguistics hat I have found nothing missing.
(If you need a Mono Font make sure to use Noto Sans Mono which has better
coverage than Noto Mono!)

https://fonts.google.com/noto

Much the same can be said of the Charis SIL font from SIL International,
although the current release lags behind Noto when it comes to coverage.

https://software.sil.org/charis/

(Make sure to look at the downloads page for info on downloadable
customized fonts!)

There is also the Gentium SIL font with Greek and Cyrillic coverage as well
as Latin, although its design may be a bit too swashy for academic work.

If something *is* missing these are all licensed under the quite permissive
Open Font License

https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=OFL-FAQ_web

Publishers may have their own (ideas about) fonts but for course materials,
handouts, manuscripts, databases and the like these are excellent. I do all
my work in the Vim text editor (with Noto Sans Mono) and *TeX/Pandoc.

Regards,

/Benct