[NTG-context] Critical Editions?

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 8 14:03:31 CET 2022

On 1/8/2022 12:40 PM, Jean-Pierre Delange via ntg-context wrote:
> Luigi,
>
> Thank you for the link.
>
> Unfortunately this site mentions some typesetting work for research on
> Stoicism (and other stuff) and on uploading the manuscripts of the
> English philosopher John Locke, but apparently some links are dead and
> the maintenance of the site seems to have stopped since ... 2011 . But
> maybe Hans knows these people?
It's a small dutch typesetting company doing work for afaik publishere
in the the humanities and they are speciaized in non latin scripts
(read: whatever can't be outsourced to large scale service
far-far-away). They use their own plain tex macros (understandable and
possible because no publishere can force to use a macro package for
tricky typesetting).

They do indic scripts and Kai made the first version of the devanagari
code for the context fontloader code that I then optimized. Over the
years we improved that (this also relates to better specs showing up and
more fonts; the reference for rendering is microsoft uniscribe). We also
stepwise improved the more complex bits and pieces of handling
discretionaries with extensive (and complex) latin fonts (that they use
and can test) as well as some fuzzy arabic fonts. it is the main reason
why we have the generic font loader (i.e. most of the context fontloader
works with plain (as we ship it) including some of the fancy stuff;
latex used that code too but with patches and layers around it and maybe
not all features but it switched to using libraries).

So, indeed I know these (two) people,