[NTG-context] Critical Editions?

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Thu Jan 6 20:00:26 CET 2022

Am 06.01.22 um 19:41 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:
> there was a time when publishers did typesetting and printing themselves
> in which case they might have some interest in tools but afaik that time
> is long gone (and i admit that i never met a publisher where investing
> in know how and technology was part of the corporate identity (there
> were some but by the time context showed up most large publishers
> started outsourcing to far-far-away and those interested in technologies
> left), at least not one that invest beyond a specific product and even
> then falling back on tools like tex is a last resort ...

I know one company in Leipzig that works for big publishers
(www.le-tex.de). I talked to them a few years ago at a book fair and
applied twice for their job offers (but they want people to work at
their office).

For scientific publications they’re using a XML-to-LaTeX workflow,
otherwise Word-based (->XML->LaTeX or ->InDesign). Of course they accept
all kind of data; it looks like they’re really good in automated workflows.

But I guess there are strong competitors in the far east...

Hraban