[NTG-context] context manuals -- absence of \definefontfamily

Youssef Cherem ycherem at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 21:41:54 CET 2022

Dear all,

I've come back to using Context and I noticed the nice manuals around --
but one thing I miss is \definefontfamily (and \definefallbackfamily).

There is info here:
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Use_fonts_distributed_with_ConTeXt

and then checking out the specific page:
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/definefontfamily

It still baffles me that definefontfamily, though much simpler than
typescripts (which is intimidating), is not mentioned in the beginner's
manuals (unless I missed something) and neither is it given more prominence
in the Wiki, although I often see it mentioned in the forums. Being used to
fontspec's simplicity, I'd never use typescripts. It would help a lot, for
example, to include a sample of "definefontfamily" in "Use any font you
like".

Is there a reason why definefontfamily doesn't appear at all in the manuals
(as far as I could see), which are rather comprehensive otherwise?

All the best and thanks again for everything.