[NTG-context] Documentation about CTX installation on MacOS X

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Mon Jan 3 09:22:01 CET 2022

Am 03.01.22 um 08:09 schrieb Jean-Pierre Delange via ntg-context:
> Thank you very much for your quick answer to you both Fabrice and
> Henning ! It seems there is no detailed documentation about peculiar
> aspects of CTX on MacOS.
>
> For instance, the use of fonts database on unix-like and MacOS are a bit
> different (but not quite a lot) and this command :
> mtxrun --script fonts —reload
>
> Works fine with this one based on fontconfig: fc-cache -v -f

I don’t remember to have used this for years. ConTeXt AFAIK doesn’t use
fontconfig. (LilyPond does...)

> There is some adaptation in the transition from Linux to MacOS, because
> one has to play and to look for the fonts paths which are a bit
> different with Mac than the Unix paths …

Of course, but that is basic MacOS knowledge and not specific to ConTeXt.

You might want to set:

OSFONTDIR='/System/Library/Fonts//:/Library/Fonts//:~/Library/Fonts//:/Library/Application
Support/Adobe/Fonts//
#:~/FontExplorer\ X/Font\ Library//'

ICCPROFILES='~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles//:/Library/ColorSync/Profiles//:/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles//:'

PATH=~/lmtx/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:/Library/TeX/texbin:...
(whereever you installed ConTeXt)

I also suggest to install everything personal in ~/texmf (same on Linux)
and not in texmf-local or texmf-project, at least if you are planning to
have parallel installations (which make sense if you want to keep a
"stable" version but also want to check out new features/bugfixes).

Hraban