[NTG-context] Malayalam conjuncts

Ajith R ajithramayyan at yahoo.co.in
Sat Jan 1 11:00:05 CET 2022

On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 09:48:53 +0530
kauśika <citturs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, December 31, 2021 6:22:15 PM IST Ajith R via ntg-context
> wrote:
> > The conjuncts that are not formed
> > correctly are those where the second component is ര U+0D30,
> > followed by a symbol that is shown on the right side of the
> > conjunct viz ാ U+0D3E, ി U+0D3F, ീ U+0D40, ു  U+0D41, ൂ U+0D42. If
> > no symbols follow, or symbols follow on the left or on both sides,
> > the conjunct is well formed.In the minimum working example given 5
> > is well formed, while the first conjunct in 6 is well formed and
> > second ill formed conjunct.
>
> I have been using ConTeXt to typeset documents in several Indic
> languages and have run into similar issues (in many languages).
> Please see this for a similar issue in some conjuncts for Devanagari:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg99691.html
>
> For what its worth, I have not had issues with some fonts while
> issues with others persist. Some of these issues we can work around
> as I have pointed out in the above posting.
>
> In almost all cases I encountered no issues while using Xe(La)Tex.
> Based on some advise from Hans and reading about these OTF features
> and their implementations in Indic fonts, I think these issues might
> be due to differences in implementation. [Not entirely sure since I
> am a novice]. My guess is that Harfbuzz (which is what Xe(La)TeX uses
> by default) uses some heuristics to work out these conjuncts (?!).
>
> To answer your specific question regarding the conjuncts in the given
> words you have to use some Unicode hacking to get what you want in
> ConTeXt.
>
> In each of the following ZWS refers to the Unicode character
> (zero-width space U+200B)
>
> 1. ശ്രീ
> This is typeset correctly by writing
> 	ശ്ര +
> 	ZWS (U+200B) +
>>
> 2. അശ്രു
> Typeset correctly with
> 	അശ്ര +
> 	ZWS (U+200B) +
> 	​ൂ
>
> 3. ശുശ്രൂഷ
> Typeset correctly with
> 	ശുശ്ര +
> 	ZWS (U+200B) +
> 	ൂ +
>>
> 4. പ്രാസം
> Typeset correctly with
> 	പ്ര +
> 	ZWS (U+200B) +
> 	ാ +
> 	സം
>
> 5. പ്രേയസി (rendered correctly as entered; no hacks necessary)
>
> 6. പ്രോഗ്രാം
> Typeset correctly with
> 	പ്രൊ +
> 	ഗ്ര +
> 	ZWS (U+200B) +
> 	ാ +‌
>> where the last character is the Malayalam Anusvara.
>
> Consider yet another example:
> സാന്ദ്രാനന്ദാഅവബൊധാത്മകമ്
>
> Here the 'ന്ദ്രാ' conjunct is not typeset in ConTeXt. To fix this I
> do ന്ദ്ര +
> [...]

Hi Kausika,

Your workaround seems to help, though it entails adding the ZWS
throughout. Anyway, I agree with you in that even with this anomaly,
Context is worth sticking to.
Dear Hans and other developers of ConTeXt, LuaTeX,
If a novice can help in any way to resolve this issue, please guide us
how we can contribute.

Thanks,
ajith