[NTG-context] Question on style-italic vs style=italicface

Rik Kabel ConTeXt at rik.users.panix.com
Sun Sep 26 22:13:44 CEST 2021

Hello list mavens,

What are the circumstances under which style=italicface should be used
instead of style=italic. I note a difference when I define highlighting.
I expected to see no difference in the line before and line after the
hairline the example below, but see that italicface adapts to nesting,
while italic does not:

Are there other places where this makes a difference?

    \setupbodyfontenvironment
             [default]
             [em=italicface] %same with italic for this example
    \definehighlight
             [emIt]
             [style=italic]
    \definehighlight
             [emIf]
             [style=italicface]
    \definehighlight
             [emEm]
             [style=\em]

    \starttext

    {\em abc {\em def} ghi}: \type{\em}

    \emph{abc {\emph def} ghi}: \type{\emph}

    \emEm{abc {\emEm def} ghi}: \type{\emEm \definehighlight[style=\em]}

    \emIf{abc {\emIf def} ghi}: \type{\emIf
    \definehighlight[style=italicface]}

    \hairline

    \emIt{abc {\emIt def} ghi}: \type{\emIt \definehighlight[style=italic]}

Rik