[NTG-context] Proper ligatures in Malayalam

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Thu Jun 24 16:17:53 CEST 2021

On 6/24/21 10:25 AM, Ajith R wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to make a document in Malayalam, an Indian language. However, the ligatures don't form as expected.
> [..]
> What setting am I missing?

Hi Ajith,

I don’t have any idea about Malayalam (or any other Indic language [I
can deal with Latin and Greek scripts only, I’m afraid]), but this seems
to work fine.

    \mainlanguage[ml]
    \definefontfamily [malayalam] [rm] [RIT Rachana]
        [features=malayalam-two]
    \setupbodyfont [malayalam]
    \starttext
    \tf അദ്ധ്യായം\\
    \em അദ്ധ്യായം\\
    \bf അദ്ധ്യായം\\
    \em അദ്ധ്യായം
    \stoptext

Fonts are RIT Rachana from http://www.rachana.org.in/.

The relevant feature here malayalam-two. I used serif (or rm), since the
font looked to me more serif than sans-serif (Latin glyphs are clearly
from a serif font).

> The expected form is show in libre office with the same text and font, attached as an image

I would say that with malayalam-two ligatures are the same ones as in
LibreOffice.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo
--