[NTG-context] register for biblical citations

jbf roma83537 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 11:47:11 CEST 2021

Hans, thanks for your ingenious solution but there is still a way to go
I suspect!

I implemented (copy-paste) precisely the solution offered and I get an
index but with some strange results ! Notice that in my previous own
solution (but only as far as 26 books!) I at least got an index in the
order of the biblical books, but using the luacode you offered, I get a
seemingly random result (see below).

I extended your example by a few books. so:

\startluacode
sorters.definitions["biblical"] = {
     method  = interfaces.variables.before,
     replacements = {
         { "Gen",  string.char(1) },
         { "Ex",   string.char(2) },
         { "Lev",  string.char(3) },
         { "Deut", string.char(4) },
         { "Lam",  string.char(5) },
         { "Dan",  string.char(6) },
         { "Joel",  string.char(7) },
         { "Ps",  string.char(8) },
         { "Prov",  string.char(9) },
         { "Sir",  string.char(10) },
         { "Mt",  string.char(11) },
         { "Mk",  string.char(12) },

     },
}
\stopluacode

But the result I get (just showing you a dozen or so, and you will see
that Gen doesn't even turn up in this list ... it does, but much later!):

Mk 2:19-20 with parallels (PES) 146
Mt 3:8-10 (PES) 135
Prov 3:11-12 (PES) 139, 172
Sir 4:17-18 (PES) 139
Mt 5:5 (PES) 146
Mt 5:6 (MAC) 123
Mt 5:16 (MAC) 121
Mt 6:1-6, 16-18 (MAC) 121
Mt 6:1-6, 16-18 (PES) 145
Mt 7:13-14 (PES) 146
Sir 10:9 (PES) 142
Mt 11:12 (PRO) 160
Mt 12:34 (MAC) 124, 137
Mt 12:36 (PES) 134
Mk 12:41-44 (MAC) 122
Sir 17:27 (PES) 142

I have no idea why this is happening. I changed nothing of what you gave
me and removed anything I had previously. If you need an example of how
\bibcit is being used in the text, just in case it helps (but I doubt
it), here is one:

The widow’s mite pleased God because of her good intention, rather than
the heap of money that the pharisees, urged on by self-love, threw into
the treasury box (cf.  \bibcit{Mk 12:41-44 (MAC)}Mk 12:41-44).

So, not sure where to go from here. Could I perhaps return to my earlier
question, which indicated that by using the keyword approach [a] [b] and
so on, as far as [z] I was at least getting a passable result, but how
could I continue past [z]? Could I have used [1], [2] etc which would
allows me to get as far as 66 (if I were to need every biblical book)?

Julian