[NTG-context] Summing up ligature prevention tests

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 25 11:01:58 CET 2021

On 3/24/2021 11:43 PM, denis.maier at ub.unibe.ch wrote:
> So, what's the general recommendation? Which approach is the best in your opinion? (In case it's the \replaceword approach: do you think you'll have time to look into this?)
>
> I've seen in an older thread that the best way to deal with this would be in the hyphenator. What do you think about this now, a couple of years later?
>
> And, while we're at it: how do you deal with words like "begrifflich" where you'll want the ff ligature, but not the ffl ligature.
> I've tried this
> \replaceword[ligs][begrifflich][begri{ffl}ich]
> But this breaks the ligature completely.
> \replaceword[ligs][begrifflich][begrif{fl}ich] is not correct either (doesn't do anything).
>
> Or with exceptions:
> \startexceptions[de]
> begri{ff-}{l}{ffl}(ff\zwnj l)ich
> \stopexceptions
>
> But that also breaks the ligature completely.
Todays secret:

\starttext

\registerhyphenationpattern[nl][e1ë/e=e]
\registerhyphenationpattern[nl][a9atje./a=t,1,3]
\registerhyphenationpattern[en][eigh1tee/t=t,5,1]
\registerhyphenationpattern[de][c1k/k=k]
\registerhyphenationpattern[de][schif1f/ff=f,5,2]

\starthyphenation[traditional]
     \starttabulate[|||]
         \NC reëel      \NC \language[nl]\hyphenatedcoloredword{reëel}
     \NC \NR
         \NC omaatje    \NC \language[nl]\hyphenatedcoloredword{omaatje}
    \NC \NR
         \NC eighteen   \NC
\language[en]\hyphenatedcoloredword{eighteen}   \NC \NR
         \NC Zucker     \NC \language[de]\hyphenatedcoloredword{Zucker}
     \NC \NR
         \NC Schiffahrt \NC
\language[de]\hyphenatedcoloredword{Schiffahrt} \NC \NR
     \stoptabulate
\stophyphenation

\stoptext

I think only Pablo ever used this variant. And yes, it's actually
documented in a manual. But it's old code thay I might want to update to
be more lmtx-ish.