[NTG-context] Questions regarding \startexceptions and ligature prevention

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 22 11:28:03 CET 2021

On 3/22/2021 10:33 AM, denis.maier at ub.unibe.ch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there’s this rather new mechanism for preventing ligatures:
>
> \startexceptions[de]
>
> au{f-}{f}{ff}(f\zwnj f)asse
>
> au{f-}{f}{ff}(f\zwnj f)asste
>
> \stopexceptions
>
> Two questions:
>
>  1. Can you have multiple \startexceptions[de] environments ? Will they
>     accumulate ? (I’m thinking about preparing a general list of
>     exceptions, but of course you will also want individual exceptions…)

you can find out by trying ...

>  2. What is the exact meaning of these four arguments ? {1}{2}{3} is
>     clear, but what about the parentheses ?
the lookup is using the third argument, the replacement is the fourth

auffasste => auf\zwnj fasste

when not hyphenated (without the () the third one is the replacement)

\enabletrackers[hyphenation.applied.visualize]

\startexceptions[de]
     au{f-}{f}{ff}as-ste
     au{f-}{f}{ff}(f!f)ax-xte
\stopexceptions

\mainlanguage[de]

\dorecurse{100}{#1 auffasste auffaxxte }