[NTG-context] getnonfreefonts with LMTX

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 14 15:18:11 CET 2021

On 3/14/2021 2:18 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The LMTX distribution comes with few binaries, texlua being none of them.
>
> The getnonfreefonts <https://www.tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts/> script
> seems simple enough, but it relies on a global “kpse” which it uses to
> get kpse variables. Therefore luametatex --luaonly can’t execute it.

I suppose we can make it work (because lmtx can call out to kpse if
needed) but it's not worth the trouble because afaiks it depends on
perl, does all kind of map things, probably donwloads more than one
needs and I actually prefer to be explicit when it comes to fonts.

> Is there a way to get those fonts with the standalone LMTX distribution?
(1) make a tree:

tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/nonfree

(2) download the fonts you want (only opentype I guess) and put them there

(3) mtxrun --generate
(4) mtxrun --script font --reload

The texmf-fonts tree is never overwritten and there is no need to figure
out paths (just use ..../data/vendor). We're not talking of many fonts.