[NTG-context] arbitrary context commands in xml file

denis.maier at ub.unibe.ch denis.maier at ub.unibe.ch
Fri Mar 5 22:27:55 CET 2021

Just to provide more information about what I was thinking:
You do your typesetting based on an XML doc. Now it is time for the finishing touches. In a tex document you'd add the usual commands to manipulate the layout:
\adaptlayout[lines=+1]
 \testpage[3]
\looseness=-1 / \looseness=+1
\blank
\setuptolerance
etc.

Now, of course you can define an injector for these commands, some are predefined, like page, column, blank.
But, if my understanding is correct, you'd have to define one for each of the possible parameters.

So, you'll need:

\startsetups xml:directive:injector:testpagethree
\testpage[3]
\stopsetups

\startsetups xml:directive:injector:testpagefour
\testpage[4]
\stopsetups

etc., and

\startsetups xml:directive:injector:addoneline
\adaptlayout[lines=+1]
\stopsetups

\startsetups xml:directive:injector:addtwolines
\adaptlayout[lines=+1]
\stopsetups

Here, I was thinking if something like this could be easier:

<?context-directive raw-tex-injector \testpage[4]?>

Wolfgang's solutions seems to provide that with different means. If I understand correctly, you'd just map an arbitrary XML element to this setup, and you can then do this:

<rawtex>
\testpage[4]
</rawtex>

Correct?

If yes, that would be a nice solution, but those elements  are probably not allowed if your document needs to be validated against a schema, yet processor instructions will be ignored during validation.

Any ideas for alternative approaches? What do you think about a raw-tex injector? (Another possibility would be to use Wolfgang's suggestion, and then to use an XSLT stylesheet to remove those illegal nodes for validation purposes...)

Best,
Denis