[NTG-context] Possible problem with context using the ARM 64bit download for Apple Silicon M1

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 23 18:21:34 CET 2021

On 2/23/2021 5:51 PM, Keith McKay wrote:

> I have been using ConTeXt (X86 64bits) on my mac mini Apple Silicon M1
> and it works well using Rosetta translation for the M1. I recently
> installed the ARM 64bits version (separately from the X86 64bits
> version) which I assume does not require translation using Rosetta.
> However I had a error with the lmt_shade command in the ARM 64bits
> ConTeXt verson but not in with the X86 64bits version of ConTeXt. The
> MWE is shown below. This is actually taken from the LuaMetaFun manual. I
> also noticed that some figures are missing in the manual (Chapter 7,
> Shade) which is part of the ARM 64bit tree but not in the manual in the
> X86 64bits tree.
That arm version was an experiment so it's definitely not in sync with
the latest luametatex/lmtx combination. It was crosscompiled on an intel
mac which took ages so it stuck as experiment. Because th eintel bin
runs on the arm mac it has a low priority (unless someone donates an arm
mini to the farm). So, forget about the arm apple bins for now.

We do generate windows arm but that's because it's easy to do, boit that
we have a machine to test if it actually works.

Btw, in the latest upload the metafun manual should compile ok (Otared
tested till we had all working in lmtx which does some things
differnetly deep down; there were also some resources missing).