[NTG-context] composing commands

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 6 00:49:25 CET 2021

On 2/6/2021 12:01 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On 2/5/21 10:30 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Is this ok for you?
>>
>> tex error       > tex error on line 6 in file ./oeps.tex: Undefined
>> control sequence
>>
>> <line 3.6> \v
>>
>>   4
>>   5     \starttext
>>   6 >>  \v
>>   7     \stoptext
>>   8
>
> Otared has already replied what I was thinking: would it be possible,
> for a certain period of time, to not stop compilation, but flag the
> issue on the console? When you say that such changes won't happen
> suddenly, this would be a wonderful compromise for me. My consolidated
> bibtex database began its life many many years ago, when bibtex was
> still pure 7bit, and you had to pepper your sources with all sorts of
> silly workarounds in order to get accents and umlauts and whatever you
> wanted. Those were the days - barefoot through the snow, and it was
> uphill both ways...
So how did you do the greek then?

I played a bit with an alternative implementation (same commands): less
hash and mem, delegate more to lua. That way we can a less cost issue
such a message (once only of course). There is of course a price to pay

% .16 sec per 100000 \"u : old method (more mkii-ish)
% .25 sec per 100000 \"u : new method (more lmtx-ish)

(actually with mkii in pdftex we need .3 seconds, xetex freezes with
100K but needs 0.53 for 10K, luatex needs 0.18)

but I'm sure you don't care much about that so I just implements a
variant with warning which takes .19 seconds per 100K so it's a nice
compromise. (Probably less than half of that time on your machine.)

system          > instead of old school '\"u' you can input the utf
sequence ü

(The old school narative is that context is slow, which is why we need
to keep an eye on performance, right?)