[NTG-context] composing commands

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 5 23:39:56 CET 2021

On 2/5/2021 11:25 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2021, at 22:30, Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> […]
>> Is this ok for you?
>>
>> tex error       > tex error on line 6 in file ./oeps.tex: Undefined control sequence
>>
>> <line 3.6> \v
>>
>> 4
>> 5     \starttext
>> 6 >>  \v
>> 7     \stoptext
>> 8
>
> In that case the error message could say
>
> tex error       > tex error on line 6 in file ./oeps.tex: Undefined control sequence: if you really mean it, then
> tex error 	    > add \usemodule[oldschool] at the begiining of your file…
>
> <line 3.6> \v

Sure but then we can as well keep them -) But maybe I will first redo
them in a less old school way.

The reason i ask mostly relates to trying to classify such commands. It
is easy to see that one should not redefine \relax (primitive) or
\framed (permanent core macro) so we can protect these against
overloading, while \temp is supposed to be mutable (\foo_bar are already
hidden from the user to these i can skip).

There are (local) cases where we have \3 defined but what should it be
otherwise? And commands like \n ? Commands like \NC have a meaning that
depend on the specific environment so they change meaning but then still
need to be protected against overload. Most is already dealt with so i'm
now going through left-overs.