[NTG-context] composing commands

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 5 22:28:41 CET 2021

On 2/5/2021 5:49 PM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
> I agree with the optional alternative. If LuaMetaTeX goes (c)leaner, it
> can get rid of obsolete constructions made for a pre-Unicode world. Some
> are already angry with primitives gone and I think that's positive, but
> it's only my opinion.
I never got saw angry mails here about gone primitives. Context commands
  seldom go away; in the transition to mkiv some encoding stuff became
obsolete and after many years might have been removed from mkiv because
no use needed/used them anyway. New stuff gets added, old stuff stays or
gets improved.

Primitives are an engine thing and there are differences between
engines, for sure. When context overloads primitives (happens in a few
cases) the original often is available as \normal<primitive>.

There is a core set of primives (original tex, luametatex has dropped
some backend related ones and nilled some prefixes that we never used in
context anyway), some etex enhancements brought new primitives (some
make no sense in the luametex universe but one can always fake
something), some auxiliary pdftex primitives never were available in
lua(meta)tex because we have lua, and from omega/aleph we ended up with
nearly nothing (luametatex dropped some useless direction stuff). So: no
real harm done. And then of course luametatex brought some new primitives.

When overloadmode is enabled one cannot redefine primitives and/or
macros, depending on what property they have gotten (i'm now down to
four pages todo).