[NTG-context] midi

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Thu Feb 4 21:14:36 CET 2021

> Am 04.02.2021 um 15:55 schrieb Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>:
>
> I kept misusing Lilypond for generating the MIDIs, and either Timidity (and something else that I forgot the name of, even though I think I packaged it for MacPorts)

fluidsynth, I guess.

> Lilypond was a good-enough approximation / similar user experience as what ConTeXt provides for typesetting text, which is why I never requested support for music in ConTeXt. A good support for
> \startlily
> c d e f
> \stoplily
> and passing the work to lilypond should be more than enough (I have an impression that I've already seen some code doing exactly that).

see https://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond

That’s what I’m using for my songbooklets.
I don’t create MIDI this way, even if it would be easy, because I keep pure LilyPond files that include MIDI setup – if I copy or compose a song, it’s much easier and faster to work in Frescobaldi and compile only LilyPond. If it’s complete, I copy the melody into a ConTeXt component – not a perfekt workflow.

> I always used full-page scores, so I didn't really need support for short snippets either.

Since LilyPond can create single-system PDFs, I leave page breaking to ConTeXt.

> Anyway, reading midi is probably straightforward, but it really sounds like a too limited feature unless one could use video/audio output or music typesetting (which is hard enough and outside of scope of ConTeXt, I would say).

It usually makes no sense to typeset music directly from a MIDI file, there’s too much information missing (e.g. time, measures, repeats) or subject to individual interpretation.
There’s midi2ly.py included with LilyPond, but it usually makes more sense to re-type the music.

Hraban