[NTG-context] understanding \startTEXpage

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 28 12:06:18 CET 2021

On 1/27/2021 6:24 PM, Peter M√ľnster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/startTEXpage it
> "starts a page that fits its contents exactly".
>
> But it seems, that part of the content is cropped here:
> \startTEXpage X \hskip20cm X \stopTEXpage
>
> No problem with 10cm instead of 20cm...
>
> Is this a bug or expected behaviour?
Yes. The problem is that in order for auto width to work we need to have
some width to start with. Also, because we want TEXpage to be in
vertical mode, we cannot assume it being horizontal. So, a chicken-egg
problem.  The good news is that you can control it, the bad news is that
you have to update the wiki,

\starttext

\startTEXpage[align=normal,width=900pt,autowidth=force]
     \framed[width=800pt,frame=off]{\number\dimexpr800pt}\par
     \input tufte\par
\stopTEXpage

\startTEXpage[align=normal,width=100cm,autowidth=force]
     X \hskip20cm X
\stopTEXpage