[NTG-context] externalizing TikZ graphics

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Mon Jan 25 17:41:37 CET 2021

> Am 25.01.2021 um 17:31 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl>:
>
>> If nobody has better advice, I’ll try to come up with a filter setup. That would mean we’d avoid the tikz module, every TikZ diagram will get written to a buffer of configurable name, and that (with preamble setup) will get run through LaTeX. I read pgf had some restrictions in plain TeX mode, but perhaps we can also use LuaTeX in plain mode to avoid the LaTeX dependency.
> In the following case the buffer only gets typeset when it changes:

Thank you (and Henri)! But we’d need to include the same setup header every time, so the filter module is probably really the best way.

There’s just a problem with labels, I guess, if I go the filter-LaTeX or filter-TeX route. So filter-ConTeXt might make sense.
I think I understand now why integrating MetaPost made a lot of sense.

Hraban