[NTG-context] A not so short introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Jan 4 14:18:26 CET 2021

Am Sun, 3 Jan 2021 23:59:14 +0100 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> In LaTeX most problems are solved with “use this or that package”,

You only need to follow a few days the questions e.g. on tex.sx to
see that this is not true: Answers about LaTeX are much more varied
than a simple "use this package" and often include new definitions
or background explanations.

> without the need to understand the commands and settings
> involved,

The fact that there are so many packages extending LaTeX actually
means that there is *more* need to understand commands and settings
than in a system like context where "most problems are solved with
\setupsomething[somekey=somevalue]".

(But it also means that there are many people, who understand enough
of the innards to write, to document and to explain packages,
commands and settings.)

> Of course it helps to understand basic TeX stuff – but you’re not
> supposed to use (plain) TeX commands in LaTeX, while it is or was
> much more usual in ConTeXt.

Well we discourage the use of plain commands to avoid that new users
trip over bewildering errors from stuff like "abc \hskip 2cm plus
cde", but it is not forbidden to use them.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/