[NTG-context] prevent error page

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 1 11:10:35 CET 2021

On 12/31/2020 8:31 PM, Johann Birnick wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> in my setup I constantly have a pdf viewer open showing the output of context.
> When I recompile the viewer updates.
>
> Now if there is an error, the document fails to compile, of course. Previously
> the pdf file just remainded untouched, nice. But now with LMTX, the pdf will be
> overwritten with a pdf just saying "error". This makes my pdf viewer crash!
> I can't work like this.
>
> So how to prevent this "error" page and just let context remain the pdf
> untouched if there is an error?
Actually the remaining file is not untouched when there is an error
halfway, so maybe your viewer didn't do anything when the xref etc was
missing and fonts were unresolved ... all depends on the viewer i guess
(after a pdf update the viewer has to reread the xref at least and then
all objects it has cached).

Long ago I played with a temp file and renaming but that also was not
stable (at least not here).

(for ways around: see other mails)