[NTG-context] Official file ending?

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 5 10:18:48 CET 2020

On 2/4/2020 8:27 PM, kaddour kardio wrote:
> Since ConTeXT is closer to plain TeX than LaTeX, it is more legitimate
> to got the "dot tex" than latex :)
>
> Le mar. 4 févr. 2020 à 17:57, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos at gmx.es
> <mailto:oinos at gmx.es>> a écrit :
>
>     On 2/3/20 3:28 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>      > On 2/3/2020 3:07 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
>      >> Hi!
>      >>
>      >> Most text editors have LaTeX specific syntax highlighting, so it
>     makes
>      >> sense to give your ConTeXt file a ending it can be distinguished
>     with.
>      >> Is there a blessed one?
>      >>
>      >>   * .ctx: Would mirror the semi-common .ltx, but is used for XML
>     files
>      >>     inside of ConTeXt itself
>      >
>      > context ctx files are xml files indeed
>      >
>      >>   * .mkiv: Is that just for ConTeXt or all LuaTeX stuff? Would
>     it make
>      >>     sense to give text documents that extension?
>      >
>      > you can do that (or mkvi or lmtx or ...)
>
>     Since there are already *.mkxl files in the ConTeXt distribution, I
>     think it may make sense to name the LMTX version MkXL.
>
>     In any case, MkXL is simpler and clearer that MkIV with LMTX.
mkiv (four)   : files that expect mkiv (or lmtx)
mkvi (six)    : mkiv (or lmtx) files that pass a filter
mkxl (fourty) : files that expect lmtx
mklx (sixty)  : lmtx files that pass a filter

(there are some more, like template files and so)

I suppose that latex syntax highlighting filters support tex and sty and
maybe suffixes i'm noti aware of. So a context specific highlighter
could support mkiv, mkvi, mkxk and mkvi. At least that's what I do here.