[NTG-context] developer not verified error

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Nov 19 10:06:41 CET 2019

> On 18 Nov 2019, at 22:25, Alan Bowen <bowenalan03 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This seems to be a problem peculiar to Catalina (macOS 10.15.1). There is a fix, as Otared and Glen have indicated.
>
> go to Apple menu -> Preferences -> Security & Privacy
> 	on the Security & Privacy, login, choose the tab General
> 	there choose, towards the bottom of that pane, under « Allow apps downloaded from: »
>                    choose the radio button App Store and identified developers
>                    click the button «allow anyway»

There is a easier / safer way: open de folder with ‘mtxrun’ in it using Finder. Then select
‘Open’ from the popup menu on the mtxrun executable. That will give you dialog with that
’This app was downloaded …’ error, but now with an extra ‘Open’ button on it. Click that,
and it will start mtxrun once. Running mtxrun itself this ways is pointless, but it makes
Apple start to remember that *you* trust this mtxrun binary, and from now on it can be
used normally.

On packaged distributed Apps you download from the web, you can also hold down CTRL while
opening the App so you don’t have to do the Finder step, but I am not certain that works with
command-line binaries (and cannot test any more since I already did the ‘fix’ above).

It is a bit tedious, but sort of I see Apple’s point. Making it harder to run downloaded
unsigned executables is probably a good thing.

Best wishes,
Taco