[NTG-context] \setuppagenumbering doublesided generates blank pages

Wolfgang Schuster wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 20:21:08 CET 2019

Kerry Sainsbury schrieb am 30.10.2019 um 19:58:
> Hi there,
>
> I am a newbie, and have /seem/ to have discovered that
>
> \setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided] generates a blank page
> between chapters.
>
> \setupheadertexts[chapter]
>
> \setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location={header,inmargin}]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startchapter[title={October 2000}]
>
> Blah One
>
> \stopchapter
>
> \startchapter[title={November 2000}]
>
> Blah Two
>
> \stopchapter
>
> \stoptext
>

> This produces a PDF in TeXworks containing 4 pages:
>
>   * Page 1 with a header an 'October 2000' header and 'Blah One' content
>   * Page 2 with a header an 'October 2000' header only.
>   * Page 3 with a header an 'November 2000' header and 'Blah Two' content
>   * Page 4 which is completely blank
>
> If I remove the \setuppagenumbering line the PDF contains just two
> pages, with the expected content.
>
> I'm using "ConTeXt ver: 2019.10.11 15:47 MKIV beta fmt: 2019.10.25
> int: english/english"
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a bug?

With \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided] you get a doublesided
document
with left and right pages. The default setting for chapters is to start
always on a right page
which can lead to empty left pages.

The normal layout are single sided document
(\setuppagenumbering[alternative=singlesided])
with right pages only which can't lead to empty pages unless you add an
extra check at the
begin of each chapter.

There is also a third mode which creates the same layout on each page
but you can
checl for left and right pages, this mode is enabled with
\setuppagenumber[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}].

Wolfgang