[NTG-context] PDF viewer poll

context at vivaldi.net context at vivaldi.net
Wed Oct 16 11:30:43 CEST 2019

Hello,

On 2019-10-13 12:43, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Hi, I’d like to update my list of (usable!) PDF viewers.
> Which one do you use? (Current version?)

PDF XChange Viewer
(https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer)

> What are its pros and cons?

+ Free; not annoying as AR is; many functions included, restore last
view, tabbed env, page thumbs navigator/bookmarks navigator, attachment
list, comment list; OCR included; handy designed; (many command line
options, e.g.) /open and /close options to be used by 3rd party
programs; /printto for batch printing; printing also: tile large pages /
print many pages on one sheet of paper; some "extras" require pro
(non-free) version.

> Is it free (open source, freeware)?

Free, not open source.

> Does it work on Win/Lin/Mac?

Windows

> Does it have a localized interface? (I don’t care, but I work with
> people who don’t understand a lot of English.)

Yes.

> Can it handle comments, attachments?

Yes.

> Can it handle forms with or without JavaScript?

Not using - don't know

> Does it support SyncTeX? (Who uses that anyway?)

No.

> Does it update changed PDFs on its own (or does it even block
> overwriting)?

No. With working with ConTeXt, I'm using a batch file which normally
opens a copy of a PDF being compiled, and once it's (successfully)
compiled, the batch reopens the PDF in the viewer.

> Which other features are essential for your choice?

Handy work - after some time of using the prog, you see how much "handy"
the program is, but hard to say which feature is essetial or most
important; "total handyness" is the goal.

I would probably change this PDF viewer just if synctex worked WELL with
the source (and in my case - I'm using Lua in ConTeXt widely to generate
the PDF, so in most cases synctech navigates me badly to the source).

Best regards,

Lukas