[NTG-context] PDF viewer poll

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 10:02:52 CEST 2019

> mupdf started simple but I think it also grew in a weird
> direction (large codebase, some reflow I think, a strange epub
> substandard support, etc .. all pretty useless to me and I'm not sure
> how optional it it ... so no longer as lightweight as it could be ...)

mupdf-1.16.1-source/build/release$ du -sh platform resources source
thirdparty
524K platform
42M resources
7.2M source
6.6M thirdparty

where resources is a directory with 155 fonts compressed and embedded into
the exe.
Following (the quite old) pdf this  should be configurable
https://ghostscript.com/~robin/mupdf_explored.pdf
(ch. 18)

I guess that mupdf's targets are windows/mac/Linux/Android but as a  base
tool (eg ebook reader make senses on Android).

License is AGPL
https://mupdf.com/license.html
like GPL plus
"""
Network Use – However, AGPL also has some conditions even if you are not
distributing the software. For example, if you are using the software on
your own company's equipment, but you are making the functionality of the
software available to users interacting with it remotely through a computer
network, and you make any change to the software, you must make the source
code for your changed version available to users of the software. Take care
to ensure that during network deployment that there is no code change that
could invoke the source code availability obligation. This special
requirement of AGPL is in Section 13; see the GNU web site for more details.

Bottom line, if you distribute our software, or make the functionality of
the software available to users interacting with it remotely through a
computer network, you must share your source code.
"""

and also the "Corresponding Source " subsection.

--
luigi