[NTG-context] PDF viewer poll

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 15 10:21:09 CEST 2019

On 10/15/2019 10:12 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> On 15 Oct 2019, at 06:42, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml at fiee.net> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you all for you valuable insights so far!
>> I’ll compile them to a wiki page and also complete the list in my upcoming book.
>>
>>> Am 2019-10-14 um 11:17 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl>:
>>>
>>> When developing pdf specific code (like last months) I do use acrobat reader and an older acrobat x (which keeps telling me that it wants to be updated but the update fails) ... both have their different issues. Acrobat X has some validation on board and one can introspect the file (and fonts) to some extend but in the end it's often still trial and error.
>>
>> Do you know any other tools for PDF debugging? Those few I know of cost four to five figures or were plugins to very old versions of Acrobat
>
> Most of my PDF debugging is done using 'mutool clean’ (especially with the -d switch) and textmate / diff.
qpdf also has something like that (with comments of where the objects
come from) and using both tools in parallel can normally reveal issues

there are catches: for instance some tools don't really use the xref
table but just run through the objects so finding issues in the xref
(and compressed object tables) is a bitch but luckily it seldom needed