[NTG-context] PDF viewer poll

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Tue Oct 15 06:26:08 CEST 2019

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 12:43:14 +0200
Henning Hraban Ramm <texml at fiee.net> wrote:

> Hi, I’d like to update my list of (usable!) PDF viewers.
> Which one do you use? (Current version?)

On Mac OS, there is skim, which has better features than preview but uses the same Apple rendering engine (with all of its bugs).

zathura (many systems) can use either the mupdf or the poppler engine. Your choice.

mupdf-gl on MacOS doesn't need X11, but it has some annoying bugs that might get fixed ... someday.

But, as Hans says, it should not be too hard to build a mupdf-engine based lightweight viewer with lua integrated. Or why not add this to lua-bloat-tex as an output option? That way, one can interpret (xml) source files with on the fly rendering.

Alan