[NTG-context] PDF viewer poll

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Oct 14 09:58:59 CEST 2019

Hi,

> On 13 Oct 2019, at 12:43, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml at fiee.net> wrote:
>
> Hi, I’d like to update my list of (usable!) PDF viewers.
> Which one do you use? (Current version?)

Preview.App (Mac) — since it is fast and the MacOS default. But it does
  not handle anything well except the actual page display.

  Auto-refreshes, but only if the pdf update is finished when you switch
  back to the preview window. If the pdf is still being updated then, it
  produces an error and refuses to update any more after that. That is
  really annoying, which is why I am trying to switch to:

mupdf-gl — trying to get used to that, but it is not an actual application
  according to MacOS, so it only works from the command-line in Terminal.
  Not sure about features, but it is fast. I should create a wrapper app
  script so I can use it more often.

  Refreshes with Cmd-R (and SIGHUP, since 1.15), but not automatically.
  mostly keyboard-driven, which works fine for me but may be a negative
  for other users.

Acrobat Reader DC — but only if I really have to because of forms/js/attachments/etc.
  I do not object to commercial software, but I think the newer Adobe Apps are
  horrible in use. The last one with a ‘sane’ interface was version 9.0 or so.

I only really care about (speed of) page display; I normally don’t need the
interactive stuff. I never use synctex since most of my docs are quite short.
No idea what pdf view supports it (and does it not need editor support as well?
no idea what editors support it, either).

Best wishes,
Taco