[NTG-context] Printing catchword or kustode

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Mon Oct 7 19:13:54 CEST 2019

On 8/10/2019 10:14, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 8/10/2019 2:25 PM, Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Visiting a museum in Stra├čburg I saw an old book from Gutenbergs times
>> where the
>> first word of the next page was printed below the last line of the
>> current page.
>>
>> The word, sometimes only a syllable of the first word from the next
>> page, is
>> called catchword or Kustode. They used it to ensure that they bind the
>> pages in
>> the right order.
>>
>> I think that it can also be of help if you read a book.
>>
>> Is this possible with ConTeXt?
> not that hard to implement if really needed

Here is a vote for implementing it. I find myself writing catchwords by
hand on speeches I have to give. An automated system of generating them
would be most welcome.

I suggest that they should optionally be sensitive to the page spread.
That is, for two-sided documents there should be an option to print them
only on recto pages. Perhaps some tuning for length, defaulting to one
word, as well. Placement is traditionally in the bottom inside of the
outside margin (directly below the text block, flush right).

I do not know if this practice is found in RTL languages, but I do not
see why it would not be adaptable to them as well.

--
Rik