[NTG-context] beta

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 29 16:31:39 CEST 2019

Hi,

A week ago we had the (nice and pleasant) annual context meeting and as
usual some new stuff has been presented there which was not yet in the
distribution at that moment. Some pending code is now being moved into
the distribution. Part is font related (lmtx only, not relevant for most
users), most is metafun (luametafun or metafun xl or whatever name
suits) related (including a new preliminary manual) which uses some new
interfaces and therefore (currently) is lmtx only.

At the meeting Mojca and Harald did some experiments with the whole
range of raspberry pi's (as part of upgrading the compile farm with a pi
4). The outcomes can be found at

https://meeting.contextgarden.net/2019/talks/2019-09-20-harald-pi/to_pi_or_not_to_pi.pdf

(There are some more slides there.)

Because running tex on a 4 (with plenty of memory and an external ssd)
is more reasonable than on the older models, I've added an lmtx
installer for the pi. Some measurements with (really) simple runs show
that performance is 3-4 times less than my laptop, which is not that bad
(it helps that the 4 has a decent ethernet and usb3 bus); I don't know
about more complex tests.