[NTG-context] Arithmetic overflow on placing an external figure in MP

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Sat Sep 7 22:47:26 CEST 2019

Bear with me, I still got no experience in MetaPost…

I’m trying to place a pixel image on a MP page.

According to the MetaFun manual this should work:

\startMPpage
draw externalfigure "mill.png" scaled 5cm shifted (-6cm,0) ;
\stopMPpage

And it works with mill.png (copied into my test dir), but with none of my other PNGs, I always get

! Arithmetic overflow.
<*> ...xternalfigure "dodo.png" scaled 5cm shifted
(-6cm,0) ; ;
Uh, oh. A little while ago one of the quantities that I was
computing got too large, so I'm afraid your answers will be
somewhat askew. You'll probably have to adopt different
tactics next time. But I shall try to carry on anyway.

[1]

1     \startMPpage
2     draw externalfigure "dodo.png" scaled 5cm shifted (-6cm,0) ;
3 >>  \stopMPpage
4

The same image file works with

\starttext