[NTG-context] coloring the logfile

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 30 01:37:00 CEST 2019

On 8/29/2019 10:58 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FWIW: ConTeXt can already do colours on the terminal:
>
>     context —ansi myfile.tex
>
> (but that currently results in an empty log, I think because there is no
> separation)

probably, i forgot the details (in the middle of somethign else so it
has to wait) and i have disabled ansi in the console so i need to set
that up

> Since the engine internals know and expose the difference between terminal
> and log file already, it is quite possible to split the lua messaging code
> into separate 'log' and 'term’ cases, if desired. There is no need to patch
> the engine for that, just some extra lua code that Hans has to be willing to
> write/include.
>
> However, if support for redirect of stdout is needed (because in that case
> the ’term’ in internal TeX speak is not really a terminal), then isatty()
> needs to be exposed to Lua in one way or another.

sure btu the problem is that it adds a some overhead as we then have to
'generate' two messages, one for the console an done for the log

> If you want color in the actual log, then someone has to rewrite the log
> reporting lua code to generate RTF or HTML. Should technically be doable
> as well...

that was actually one of the first things done (decade old code), i.e.
context can launch a browser on an error or after a run but i gave up on
using it because there is no way to update automatically so one ends up
with numerous tabs

> BTW, it is not safe to assume that all ttys actually support ansi colours
> (remote terminals quite often do not), so a command-line switch would still
> be needed.
i did the ansi as a gimmick and never use it (it is also slower)