[NTG-context] context --autopdf=auto/default

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Thu Aug 29 15:04:52 CEST 2019

> Am 2019-08-29 um 11:51 schrieb Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com>:
>> On 29 Aug 2019, at 11:40, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml at fiee.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hans, could you use "xdg-open" for "—autopdf=auto" on Linux?
>> That’s more or less the same as "open" on MacOS.
>>
>> On Windows it’s 'start "" "<file>"' (empty quotes for default program), don’t know if that’s implemented.
>>

>> "default" is apparently "pdfopen", that doesn’t work on MacOS, at least on my system I get:
>>
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib
>> Referenced from: /Users/hraban/Library/texmf/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/pdfopen
>> Reason: image not found
>> Abort trap: 6
>
> You need XQuartz installed for pdfopen to even start on MacOS. But it would still
> likely fail with ‘acroread startup failed’, because it is seriously outdated by now.

I have XQuartz, of course, but not the outdated Apple version or any other in /usr/X11/lib, but the MacPorts version in /opt/local/lib (and a few within some Apps).

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC doesn’t use X11 and isn’t callable as acroread, but only as /Applications/Adobe\ Acrobat\ Reader\ DC.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeReader *if* you installed it in /Applications.

I guess you meant acroread on Linux, and there "default" still works.

> Am 2019-08-29 um 11:51 schrieb Floris van Manen <vm at klankschap.nl>:
>
> On 29-08-19 11:40, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Hans, could you use "xdg-open" for "—autopdf=auto" on Linux?
>> That’s more or less the same as "open" on MacOS.
>
> you could also create an alias for in your .bashrc
>
> alias open=xdg-open

Right. And also an alias for acroread and/or pdfopen on my Mac.

But since I think it’s useful for a lot of users, I suggest including at least xdg-open for "auto" on Linux.

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a distinction of systems in mtxrun. (Is it in mtx-context.lua? I didn’t understand the code.)

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net